1. WHAT IS THE BIBLE AND THE VIRGIN MARY?
Part of the St. Paul Center’s Journey Through Scripture program, The Bible and the Virgin Mary is a dynamic, beautifully shot, digital Bible study comprised of 12 different lessons, each roughly 25 minutes in length.
Based upon the work of theologian Dr. Scott Hahn, this study is presented by speaker and author Matthew Leonard. It teaches Catholics how Marian doctrine and devotion are firmly rooted in Scripture and answers common objections from non-Catholics.
The Bible and the Virgin Mary is based upon Dr. Hahn’s book Hail Holy Queen, which is included in the Leader Kit and also available for purchase by participants. There are suggested readings from Hail Holy Queen, the Catechism of the Catholic Church, and the Bible at the end of each lesson.
2. WHAT IS THE JOURNEY THROUGH SCRIPTURE SERIES?
Journey Through Scripture is the St. Paul Center’s dynamic parish-based Bible study program designed to help ordinary Catholics grow in their knowledge of the Scriptures while deepening their understanding of the riches of our faith.
The Bible and the Virgin Mary is the first study from the Journey Through Scripture series to be made available on DVD. The other five studies are presented live in local churches by people trained through the St. Paul Center for Biblical Theology—people just like you. These studies, which are not yet available on DVD, include: Genesis to Jesus, The Bible and the Mass, The Bible and the Sacraments, The Bible and the Church Fathers, and The Bible and Prayer.
3. WHAT ARE THE EPISODES CALLED? HOW LONG ARE THEY?
7. The Promised Mother (27 min)
8. Mother Crowned in Glory (23 min)
9. Full of Grace (22 min)
10. All Holy (20 min)
11. The Assumption (31 min)
12. Always a Mother (25 min)
1. A Biblical Introduction to Mary (27 min)
2. Handmaid of the Lord (27 min)
3. Wedding at Cana, Garden in Eden (23 min)
4. The New Eve (28 min)
5. The Ark of the New Covenant (26 min)
6. Born of a Virgin (26 min)
4. HOW LONG IS EACH SESSION DESIGNED TO LAST?
Each session is designed to last 60 to 90 minutes.
5. WHAT IS IN EACH PARTICIPANT WORKBOOK?
- Review and Discussion Questions to enhance participant’s mastery of the information
- A review of the previous lesson
- Key themes and Scripture passages for each lesson
- A Memory Scripture Verse for each lesson
- Common Marian prayers
6. WHAT IS IN EACH LEADER GUIDE?
The Leader Guide contains all the material found in the Participant Workbook and more, including:
- Answers to all the Review Questions at the end of each study
- Leader Notes designed to guide the leader effortlessly through every aspect of the study, from managing small groups to moderating discussion questions
- Leader Says sections that cover everything a leader would need to say throughout the study, from the welcome to the closing prayer
7. CAN I SEE A SAMPLE OF THE VIDEOS OR THE STUDY GUIDE AND LEADER’S GUIDE?
8. DO THE DVDS INCLUDE CLOSED CAPTIONING?
All The Bible and the Virgin Mary DVDs include English and Spanish closed captioning. It is not dubbed in Spanish.
9. IS THIS PROGRAM AVAILABLE IN SPANISH?
The Bible and the Virgin Mary DVD set is available with Spanish subtitles. The Leader Guide and Participant Workbook are not available in Spanish.
10. ARE THESE DVDS OPTIMIZED FOR INTERNATIONAL USE?
The DVDs are only available in NTSC, which means they only play in countries that recognize that format (i.e. the United State, Canada, the Philippines, etc.). If you reside in a country that uses the PAL format (you can find a list of those countries here), please consider FORMED.org.
11. WHO IS THE INTENDED AUDIENCE OF THE PROGRAM?
Anyone who wants to know the woman at the very center of God’s plan to save us all through the merits of Jesus Christ. This Bible study will help participants understand what the Catholic Church teaches about Mary and how these beliefs are deeply rooted in Sacred Scripture and an integral part of the Gospel message.
12. DOES IT HAVE AN IMPRIMATUR?
Yes. The Leader’s Guide, the Participant Workbook, and Hail, Holy Queen all bear the Imprimatur, which is only available for written materials.
13. DO I HAVE TO DO THE BIBLE AND THE VIRGIN MARY WITH GROUP? OR WILL I BENEFIT FROM IT DOING IT ALONE?
It is recommended to watch The Bible and the Virgin Mary with a group, but it is not required. Individuals will also benefit from completing the study on their own.